Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Amador & Calaveras Counties has been restoring smoke and fire damaged homes since 1971! We're proud to say we take care of YOU our customer and will work with your insurance company to make the restoration process as easy as possible.
When you have a fire or smoke damage it's best to not attempt any cleaning yourself. Smoke can be difficult to remove and if cleaned improperly can actually get permanently set into your home and its furnishings. SERVPRO of Amador & Calaveras Counties uses the industry's current and most advanced cleaning processes to be sure you return to a home free from smoke and odor!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call our office 24/7 (209) 912-9205
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (209) 912-9205
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.